Before starting this blog I would always post pictures of my charmed and sometimes not so charmed bakes up on my Facebook site. Needless to say my family & friends were bombarded by my
annoying delicious pictures
One evening, whilst enjoying a few glasses of bubbly at our weekly girls night out – ‘Champagne Fridays’ – the topic of my cupcake photos as well as baked goodies from a girlfriend came up. Someone than suggested we should have a Cupcake Battle so that everyone could finally try out our cupcakes.
What a fantastic idea!!!
The 1st Cupcake Battle Party in Linz had begun – bring on the cupcakes!!
What was I to bake?! Of course I couldn’t just bake 1 flavour so 2 flavours it was for me:
Mini Strawberry Champagne Cupcakes with Champagne Zabaglione Cream – they are a celebration in themselves
Margarita Cupcakes – my all time favourite
Here are the pictures from the Cupcake Battle, it was a ‘sweet’ battle to say the least
Let the battle begin!!
Mini Strawberry Champagne Cupcakes with Champagne Zabaglione Cream by Angela
Margarita Cupcakes recipe here by Angela
Coconut Cupcakes by Nadine
Kalashnikov Negro Cupcakes – Vodka infused bittersweet cupcakes by Alaine
Chacke Kacke Cupcakes aka Dog Poo Cupcakes aka Death by Chocolate Cupcakes by Heather
Starbucks Caramel Frappucino Cupcakes by Brandi
Mr Whippy Cupcakes by Marie
Banoffee Cupcakes by Marion
Maple Bacon Cupcakes by Mary Lynn
Russian Lemonade Cupcakes – Lemon Curd with Vodka citron by Alaine
Pina Colada Cupcakes by Brandi
Here is the recipe for:
Mini Strawberry Champagne Cupcakes with Champagne Zabaglione Cream
(Recipe adapted from 20 Something Cupcakes)
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites (reserve the egg yolks for the cream)
- 1 cup champagne
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. In a bowl soak diced strawberries in the champagne. Place cupcake liners in a mini cupcake pan.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and beat in egg whites one at a time. Drain the strawberries from the champagne reserving the liquid.
- Beat in flour mixture and champagne in three alternating additions, starting and ending with dry mixture.
- Stir the diced strawberries into the batter and pour batter into tins. Alternatively you can pour the batter into the tin first and then carefully spoon in the diced strawberries.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
Champagne Zabaglione Cream
(Recipe adapted from Crumb Boss)
3 egg yolks
¼ cup sugar
½ cup champagne
2 cups thick cream
4 tablespoons icing sugar
Note: Champagne can be substituted with sweet white wine
A couple of tablespoons of nutella can also be added to the Zabaglione once cooled to room temperature for a nutty flavor if desired.
- Whip cream and icing sugar to firm peaks and set aside in the refrigerator.
- Prepare a large bowl with cold water and ice, of fill the kitchen basin ¼ full with ice-cold water.
- Place egg yolks and sugar in a bowl to go over a double boiler making sure the water does not touch the bowl the egg yolks and sugar are in.
- Bring the water to a boil then turn it down to a simmer. Place egg yolk and sugar bowl on top of the double boiler and keep whisking till sugar is dissolved – approx 5 mins.
- Add the champagne and keep whisking till mixture thickens slightly and bubbles.
- Remove from double boiler and keep whisking over ice-cold water to bring the zabaglione to room temperature.
- Fold in the zabaglione into the whisked cream and refrigerate till required.
- sliced strawberries for decoration (approximately half a punnet or depending how much or little you prefer)
- 1 cup champagne (enough to soak the strawberries)
- 250 grams melted chocolate
- 12 – 14 champagne glasses
- Melt 250 grams chocolate and allow to cool slightly.
- Soak sliced strawberries in the champagne.
- Peel cupcake liners off the mini cupcakes.
- Line up the Champagne glasses.
- Place zabaglione cream in a piping bag or a zip lock bag.
- Drop one mini cupcake into each glass, then pipe in the cream, drizzle in some melted chocolate* and then spoon in soaked sliced strawberries (add a bit of champagne if you desire but not too much otherwise the cupcake will be soggy if not eaten straight away).
- Repeat the layering process till you reach the top and finishing off with cream, strawberries and drizzled chocolate.
*I poured the melted chocolate into a little squeeze bottle as this made it easier to drizzle into the glass and gave it a tidier finish.
Keep refrigerated till ready to serve.
Which ones are your favourite?
Thank you to the lovely Nadine for hosting this deliciously sweet and fun event!!