Life Radio & The Charmed Cupcake
I don’t know about you but when I bake I like to listen to the radio.
Listening to the radio lifts one’s spirit to help them go about their daily lives. There is always a variety of music played on the radio so it changes your mood each time a different song is played.
Another reason I listen to the radio whilst I bake is because we only have a radio in the kitchen as opposed to a CD player and it’s a very cute retro style radio I must admit.
Listening to the radio here in Austria has also helped me improve my German immensely. At first it was understanding the weather, then the traffic report and now I can even understand when the presenters
try to make a joke or when they make those crank calls.
So…………….. which radio station do I listen to I hear you ask?
Well, it’s one of upper Austria’s favourite radio stations & mine too – Life Radio
I believe in supporting the local community and it’s always comforting to know what is happening in and around your city so since living here in Linz for the past 5 years I have always tuned into Life Radio. I wanted to give something back in a way of ‘thank you for the music’ that always sets me in the mood to create my delicious charmed bakes and what better way to thank them but with some of my charmed cupcakes!
I baked them two flavours,
I couldn’t just bake one:
- Vanilla & Nutella Cupcakes to tie in with their yellow and black corporate colours
- Margarita Monday Cupcakes to kick-start the week with the ‘Hair of the dog’ after a rough weekend – recipe here
I chose vanilla and nutella cupcakes to tie in with Life Radio’s corporate theme – yellow and black
Here is the recipe, it yields 12 cupcakes:
Vanilla and Nutella Cupcakes
185 grams butter, at room temperature
2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
1 cup sugar
3 eggs, at room temperature
2 cups plain flour (universal), sifted
1/2 cup milk, room temperature
3 tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons extra milk
1/3 cup nutella
1 cup butter
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted (depends how sweet you want it)
2 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted
Meth0d for cupcakes
- Preheat oven to moderate (180 C/160 C fan forced). Line 12 holes of cupcake tins with paper.
- Beat the butter, vanilla and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating until they are just combined between additions.
- Fold in the sifted flour, baking powder and milk in two batches.
- Divide mixture in half. In one half sift in cocoa powder, add in nutella and 3 tablespoons milk. Stir till all well combined.
- The other half stays as it is or if you prefer to add a few drops of yellow food colouring you may.
- Add spoon full of each batter into the moulds to give it a marbled effect.
- Bake in a moderate oven for about 20 minutes or until cooked when tested.
- Once baking is complete, remove from oven and allow cupcakes to sit in the tin for approximately 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Method for buttercream
- Whip the butter till creamy.
- Add in the sifted power sugar, vanilla and milk.
- Continue whipping till all ingredients have combined and it has reached a consistency you are happy to pipe with.
- If it is too thick add in a little milk, if it is too wet add in more sugar.
- Divide buttercream in half and add cocoa powder to one half and yellow food colouring in the other half.
- Whip till smooth and combined.
- Refrigerate till ready to use but give it a good stir before piping.
For the two-tone swirls, I used a large star tip. I filled one side of the piping bag with chocolate frosting and the other half with the yellow frosting.
I made my own cupcake wrappers in the colours of Life Radio and included their logo. I also made marbled love hearts out of fondant.
And now the Life Radio team gets to taste test and see if the cupcakes really are
Here’s me with Andy at the morning show.
Link to the morning show interview on Life Radio with Andy Hohenwarter – here.
Please be sure to show your wonderful support and give my Facebook page a ‘Like’. This way you can be up-to-date with what’s happening in the cupcake world.
And there you have it, Life Radio cupcakes!
So I say
Thank you for the music, the songs I’m singing
Thanks for all the joy they’re bringing
Who can live without it, I ask in all honesty
What would life be?
Without a song or a dance what are we?
So I say thank you for the music
For giving it to me
Abba Thank You For The Music Lyrics
Photo 1 & 6 courtesy of Life Radio